DEDICATIONS BY SQUIBOB CHAPTER 1853
Fortified briefly by Carlos Carrillo in 1838, this site became Fort Dupont (July - November 1846) after American forces took Old Town during the Mexican War. Retaken and held briefly by the Californios, it fell once more to the Americans, who renamed it Fort Stockton and used it as campaign headquarters for ending the Californio revolt in early 1847. The Mormon Battalion stayed here later that year. The post was abandoned on September 25, 1848.
Old Point Loma Lighthouse
This lighthouse, built in 1854, was one of the first eight lighthouses on the Pacific coast. It continued in use until 1891, when the new Pelican Point lighthouse began operating. The Point Loma lighthouse became the site of the Cabrillo National Monument in 1913. During World War II the Navy used it as a signal tower. Restored by the National Park Service in 1984, it remains as a reminder of contribution of 19th century lighthouse keepers and their families to California's maritime past.